Pacemakers & Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators
Presented by: Carol Jacobson
This program is for nurses and other health care professionals in telemetry/step-down units, critical care, emergency departments, and other settings who care for patients with temporary or permanent cardiac pacemakers or implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICD). Content includes: indications for pacing, basic pacemaker operation, single and dual chamber pacemaker function, single and dual chamber pacemaker evaluation for capture and sensing, rate adaptive pacing, special features of dual chamber pacemakers, cardiac reynchronization therapy with biventricular pacing and His bundle pacing, pacing modes to reduce unnecessary right ventricular pacing, ICD function, and patient care after implantation. Content does not include pacemaker programming
Upon completion of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Describe pacing modes according the the five-letter pacemaker code system.
- Define the following pacing terms: capture, sensing, minimum rate, AV delay, PVARP, blanking, hysteresis, upper rate, PMT, crosstalk, safety pacing.
- Describe the procedure for initiating temporary transvenous or epicardial atrial and ventricular pacing.
- Evaluate single chamber pacemaker sensing and capture on rhythm strips.
- State two possible corrective actions for loss of capture and loss of sensing.
- Describe the four states of DDD pacemaker operation.
- Evaluate dual chamber pacemaker sensing and capture on rhythm strips.
- Discuss the use of biventricular pacing and His bundle pacing for cardiac resynchronization in heart failure patients.
- Describe how new pacing modes can reduce unnecessary right ventricular pacing.
- Describe arrhythmia detection and therapies delivered by ICDs.
6.5 hours of continuing education (contact hours) are offered with this program. CNEA is a provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, provider number 15714.
Use Firefox as your browser to view course on an iPad or other device.
Click here for course price
Excellence Starts Here
Keep up-to-date with live classes, products, promotions, practice pearls and online courses.
Sign up today and receive a FREE GIFT, an exclusive offer available only to new subscribers:
Top 10 Lessons Learned in over 100 years of Combined Nursing Experience